Before You Dig Australia
A vision for Zero Damage, Zero Harm
Before You Dig Australia (BYDA), formerly Dial Before You Dig (DBYD), is a not-for-profit organisation that protects Australians and prevents damage to underground infrastructure by providing the free online referral service. Lodging an enquiry and knowing what’s below before any excavation or digging project helps prevent damage to underground pipes and cables that distribute essential services such as gas, electricity, communications, and water to the community.
What to do before you dig
Any project can damage assets located around your dig site, leading to service interruptions, delays, costly repairs and in the worst-case scenario – injury or death. Obtaining plans and safety information for your project site from asset owners via the free referral service before you start work can significantly minimise these risks. Safety is fundamental to any digging or excavation project so using the Before You Dig service should always be your first point of contact before starting any work. Lodging an enquiry is a free and simple process:
Once you’ve lodged an enquiry
Once you submit the enquiry, you can review a list of affected utilities, their contact details and expected wait times to receive their plans and information. Plans are indicative only and should be used as a guide. If you require further information or assistance or have not received a response from a specific utility, please contact them directly using the contact details supplied on the enquiry confirmation sheet. Ensure you DO NOT proceed until you have received all the relevant information from every affected asset owner.
- Safe excavation is not just about getting the plans - you should also ensure you work safely once onsite
- Be mindful that plans do not show the entire domestic connection
- Look for clues near underground infrastructure. These may include water meters, inspection points and warning signs
- Use a Certified Locator to help determine the location of assets
- Take note of any required permits
- Be aware of any exclusion zones around assets
- Always follow the 5Ps of safe excavation!
To lodge a free enquiry or to find out more about the service, go to the Before You Dig website.